[Velololve Test] Test2 from skisby at web.net

Steve Kisby skisby at web.net
Thu Sep 10 19:47:46 PDT 2009

Velolove Announcements:

First, my apologies if you received more than one copy of this announcement. Some on the list did not receive earlier copies due to some automated spam killer out on the net somewhere. This version hopefully gets received by everyone.

o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o

Midnight Mass Bike Ride
Thursday, September 10

Do you have a bike and like riding at night? Bring your lights and friends, your exploratory attitude, something warm to drink, and join the ride!

Meet 11:45 pm at Grandview Park (Commercial Drive at Charles Street -- across from the Havana and Turks) and roll at midnight.

The ride happens the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month, so mark your calendars. Tell your bike loving friends, and hope to see you there!

For more information and videos:
www.midnight-mass.blogspot.com
More photos at www.flickr.com/photos/midnightmass

o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o

Critical Manners Ride -- CANCELLED
Friday, September 11

>From the organizer at http://criticalmanners.wordpress.com

----------- cut -----------
Ride Postponed

I'm amazed and inspired by how strong a chord was struck by cyclists fed up with being painted by the Critical Mass brush, and how many came out to support the first Vancouver Critical Manners Ride.

Unfortunately, as it sometimes does to the best of volunteers, life happened and I'm not able to continue to organize or lead the next Critical Manners ride.

But never fear! There are still some great opportunities to get involved in the local cycling community, get involved in advocacy that actually makes a difference to the cycling community and ride with other like-minded pedal pushers.

Join your local chapter of the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition [ http://vacc.bc.ca ], and keep your eye on Pedal Etiquette [ http://www.pedaletiquette.com ].

The VACC has some upcoming courses on riding safely and legally in traffic. They’re also partnering with MEC to put on a number of Great Rides throughout the lower-mainland. And don't forget, Bike to Work Week Fall Edition is coming up.

Pedal Etiquette is an emerging group, focused on riding (and walking, and driving) respectfully every day. I'm excited to see how it develops.

And of course, if you'd like to pick up the torch and take on the leadership of Critical Manners, please email criticalmanners.vancouver [at] gmail [dot] com!
----------- cut -----------

You may still be able to post comments at http://criticalmanners.wordpress.com
You may still be able to participate at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110940954087

o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o-o=o

Volunteer Meeting: Bridge to a Cool Planet
Monday, September 14

The climate talks in Copenhagen this December are crucial -- they must lead to an international agreement to stop global warming. This fall we need to come together and, with one voice, call on government to show bold leadership at these talks.  On Saturday, October 24th, we invite you to come have fun with your friends and neighbors while sending a strong message to Ottawa: make us proud in Copenhagen!

What's happening in Vancouver on the 24th:
11 am gather on the Cambie Street Bridge!
Noon: parade across the bridge, along Pacific Bvd to Science World --  bring your group's banner, come dressed as your favorite endangered animal or fossil fool!
3 pm: music, food, workshops, advocacy and celebration at Science World -- send a personal message to Ottawa, learn something new, enjoy yourself!
7 pm: inspirational speakers, movies at Christ Church Cathedral, 690 Burrard St at the NE corner of Georgia and Burrard

Full details at http://www.bridgecoolplanet.ca

We need your help! We'd love your help in making this day a huge success. Volunteer by attending the orientation meeting on Monday, September 14th, at the Western Canada Wilderness Committee offices -- 341 Water Street between 5 and 7 pm. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=129402042157&ref=mf

Can't make it Monday? Get involved here: http://www.bridgecoolplanet.ca/en/get_involved.php

We need to build a movement! If we are going to achieve the scale of changes needed to stop global warming, everyone is going to have to get involved.  Please encourage your organisation, business, church, cultural group and sports team to take part in this day.  Invite your friends, colleagues, neighbours and grandparents too.  Spread the word!  Together we can send a strong message that it is time for action.  This is our future, and this is our time to make a difference.